This week my baking adventure consisted of making a carrot cake! I only wanted to make a very small one in my 6-inch cake pan, but there are very few recipes for carrot cakes this size – especially vegan ones! I found a recipe which looked super simple, with the only non-vegan item in the batter being an egg which I easily replaced with a flax egg. While the baking process was incredibly easy, my cake didn’t rise as much as I thought it should have. I definitely put the correct amount of baking powder in so I am not sure what went wrong. I can’t see any reason that my flax egg would have affected this (but if I am incorrect, please let me know!), and other than that alteration everything else was the same. On top of this slight rising issue, the cake also didn’t have the best flavour. The only spice the batter called for was cinnamon, and in my experience usually carrot cakes have a few more spices. Overall, this was not my favourite recipe and not one I will be using again. Because of my lack of enthusiasm over this product, I won’t share the recipe I used. In hindsight, I wish I had used the Minimalist Baker Carrot Cake recipe because it looks divine, and everything I have made from this blog always turns out great!

As a note, I used vegan butter and vegan cream cheese for the icing, and that tasted delicious – no way you could tell it was vegan!

Cheers to hoping next weeks baking adventure is more successful!

Bye for now, Jaime